1

Wednesday

Chapter 1: Leaving






                                                Chapter 1: Leaving


Why?
Because it was the only way.
Where?
I didn't know.
How?
That was uncertain.
I trudged on, trying not to look behind me, because if I did, I'd turn around.  For sure.
Then, I heard running footsteps behind me.  Great.
"Hilary!  Wait!"  My brother caught up with me.
"Go back home, Brian."
"No!  Where are you going?"
"It doesn't matter."
His face wrinkled with confusion.
"Doesn't matter to me or doesn't matter to you?"
I tried for a moment not to laugh.
"Both."
He thought for a few minutes, keeping stride with me.
"You're going to try and do it, aren't you?   You're going on a quest or something."
"No, I'm not."
"Yes you are.  And I'm coming.  I already packed a backpack, see?"
I looked.  It was true.  He had his hiking backpack on his back.
"I doubt you packed what you need."
He gave me his best, "I'm not a baby" look.
"I have everything I need," he said matter of factly.  "I have two changes of clothes, an extra pair of shoes, enough food to last you and I ten days-without dessert-, two flashlights, a sleeping bag, a map of the whole country as well as maps of the surrounding areas, matches, a first-aid kit, two big thermoses of water, two coils of rope, a camera just in case, a pair of binoculars, and three of my pocket knives.  The most useful ones.".
I stopped in my tracks and stared at him.  My own backpack carried only one pair of clothes, a few bandages, a small flashlight, a few dollars, a blanket, and a few snacky items.
"How did you know I was going?" I asked.
"It was obvious.  Whenever Mom talked about it you looked at her and I could tell you were storing up everything she said.  Plus this morning you wore your hiking boots to school.  But now you've changed into rain boots.  Why is that?"
"Because it's raining, duh.  I have my hiking boots in my backpack."
He nodded.  "So we have enough food to last us a little over a week, and all my supplies, plus whatever you packed.  Oh," he added, looking important, " and I know where to get a tent.  For free."
I stared at him again.  "Where?"  I asked.
"Let me come and I'll show you."
"But you're only ten.  I mean really, how can you expect to come?"
"Because I am very capable.  And," he added smugly,  "I have outdoor sense that you don't have."
This was probably true.
"But still, you're ten.  Mom would kill me."
"Not if we succeed.  And anyway, you're only fourteen, what's the difference?"
"Four years," I mumbled under my breath.
I thought about it long and hard.  Finally I sighed.
"Alright, you can come.  Are you ready right this minute?"
"Yes."
"Then show me where we find this tent."
And we set off down the street.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Update: I may continue this story at some point in the future but I'm tied up in my current novel right now...)
xo,
-Anna <3 

6 comments:

  1. I really liked it! Great job!

    P.S. I'm sorry i missed your writing contest! Life, ya know? :p Getting in the way of everything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Loved reading it, you're so talented.
    Can't wait for the next chapter, girl.
    Tane♥
    tangerinetane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I love it! :D I'm almost done with mine! (It's actually similar to yours! Though I bet yours is more than meets the eye. Haha!)

    http://anotherenchantedland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm done with mine, if you want to see! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness me! It is awesome! Can't wait to see what happens next! I did mine too if you wanna check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh me gosh that is amazing! The only thing is can you please include the Chapter Challenge picture, (the picture that say what to include in the chapter) thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete