1

Friday

Chapter 7: Stuck

My Chapter 7 for C.C.C.W.C…
********************
Chapter 7
I looked around, startled.  I had just been in a bus...now I was back in the living room.
How?  I wondered if I should tell Alex about it.  But I might just have been imagining things.  I certainly didn’t want anyone thinking I was crazy.  
Everyone was looking at Brian and I with a slightly anxious, expectant look.  I was nervous.  I didn’t think that I was going to be able to talk to birds, and I certainly wasn’t going to stick my hand into the fire.  Honestly I thought that having Water Powers would be pretty darn awesome, but I couldn’t even hope for anything like that.  I wondered what I had to do to prove that I had powers.  Or was I supposed to sit here and hope that something jumped at me?  Because never in all my life had I been aware of anything special about me.  
I cleared my throat. “Um, Alex?  I don’t think I have any powers or anything.  I mean, wouldn’t I have noticed them?  I think I’m pretty- regular, you know.”
She smiled at me kindly.  “You may not think so, Hilary, but the powers are there, they’re in you, somewhere.”
“But- what about my parents?  I mean this sounds like something I’d have to inherit.”
“You did inherit it.”
“I wha- how?  I mean, why wouldn’t they tell us?”
“Your mother was an Aquari.  That is, she had water powers.  But-”
Alex sighed, heavily.  “She chose to renounce them.  They worried her, she wanted to be normal.  But what she didn’t know is that you can never truly get away from your powers.  As you can see, her children were born with powers.”
I let this sink in.  Whoa.  How had I never known my mother had strange magical powers?  Why had she tried to get away from them?
I looked over at Brian.  He didn’t seem to find this very astounding.  
Alex spoke.
“So now, Brian and Hillary.  This is the fun part.”  She smiled encouragingly.
“Think about the powers.  Water, Fire, Sky, Plants, Animals, and the Elements.  One of these powers lived within you.  You must think, really think about the powers.  Think about yourself.  Think about the things you hold most dear.  Then, I think it’s safe to say you’ll know what your power is.”
This sounded far fetched and a little bit crazy.  But I tried it anyway.  I closed my eyes and I thought, really hard, about the powers.  I thought about the power to control the sky, or the elements, or the power to talk to animals.  I thought about being able to touch flame, or simply willing a plant to grow, and it growing as tall as I wished.  But I kept coming back to water.
I thought about how wonderful I felt whenever I ducked my head into the ocean, or drank a glass of cool, refreshing water.  And then, suddenly, I knew.
I opened my eyes, and without knowing why I was doing it,  reached out towards the glass of water.  As my hand got nearer, it started to faintly glow.  Then, it rose up out of the cup on it’s own, and swirled around my hand, up my arm, and encircled itself about my neck.  It twirled into a tiara around my head, then became an anklet.  And finally, it stopped, hovering in midair, right in front of my eyes.  I could hardly breathe.  I slowly reached out to grab it.  As soon as it touched my hand, I was holding a little pool of water in my hand.  Using my finger, I was able to slowly draw out a long thin ribbon of water.  I tied it in a bow, I twisted it, I swirled it.  
Then I carefully set it down in the cup again, where it twinkled for a minute and then went still.
I looked up, a little nervously.
Everyone was staring at me as if in awe.  
I wondered if I had done something wrong.  
“Um- was that supposed to happen?”
“Oh, yes.  That was meant to be.  The thing is, I’ve never seen anyone find their power that quickly.  Never.”  Alex was looking at me almost admiringly.  
Brian, though, was now walking towards the fireplace, warily, but steadily.  
He reached out to it, and part of me wanted to tell him to stop.
But when his hand came in contact with the flames, he didn’t pull back or yell.
Instead, he picked up a handful of flame, and it sat there, burning in his hand.
Everyone applauded, and we were welcomed, Brian and an Emberin (a person of the flame), and I as an Aquari (a magician of water).  
In the next few moments I learned that in Virginia there were about ten Emberins, eight Aquari, 5 Creaturas (friends of animals), 5 Windlones (people of elements), 4 Fleurisas (earth and plant magicians), and two Skylerians (the people of the Sky).  Alex was a Skylerian.  
The other people in our party who were out on duty right now were mostly Creaturas and Fleurisas.  
“What about Melanie?”  I asked after I had taken in all this information.  “Do we know what her power is?”
Alex suddenly looked grave again.
“We know- but her sister refuses to believe it.  Melanie is a Skylerian- the only one on the Eastern Coast of the United States, excepting me.  Being a Skylerian has it’s-dangers.  You see, the Evil Lord Gastonez has been dead many years.  But he had a descendant, by the name of Respartin.  Respartin is many times more evil than Gastonez ever was, and we have reason to believe he has made himself-” She sighed heavily.  “-Immortal.  You see, his mother was half Emberin and half Skylerian.  Two very powerful powers.  And his father was half Aquari and half Windlone, also very powerful.  Now, someone with all four of these powers so strongly in their blood possesses very great power indeed.  So strong, it’s dangerous.  And he is continuing the work of Gastonez- he wants to rule the entire world, and thus he wants all of the people with powers on his side, and will go to great lengths to get them.  That’s why it was so crucial that we got you here.  He might try to find you before we did.  And it is especially dangerous for little Melanie- Respartin wants all of the Skylerians dead.  He thinks the power is worth nothing, and he resents his Mother, for she was never attentive to him or caring.  So all Skylerians have two options- risk it, like I am doing, and just be extra careful, or they can go to Lady Zoliss.  Lady Zoliss rules the sky.  She is part Skylerian and part Windlone, and while she isn’t evil, she’s never helped our side, either.  She lives in a castle in the clouds, with twenty or so young people whom she has had pity on and given refuge in her castle.  No one can get into her castle if she doesn’t wish them too, and Respartin is her mortal enemy- an old family feud, they’re second cousins twice removed or something.  And once a Skylerian steps foot into her castle, they may never leave.  So that is why Susan refuses to believe that her sister is a Skylerian.  She doesn’t want to lose Melanie, one way or the other.  But Melanie is a Skylerian, and we’re going to have to try and get Lady Zoliss to accept her.
I nodded, feeling sorry for Susan, Melanie, and Alex.
But Alex was already off onto a different subject.
“I heard from the Carolinian representative today.  We were going to start for Stonieria in November- 3 month’s time.  But there is no reason to stay any longer if we can’t find any more people with powers, so we both agreed that it will be best to start out much sooner.  In three weeks.  Start thinking about what to bring.  You’ll need warmer clothing, Stonieria is much colder, and bring as many pairs of shoes as possible.  Stonieria has, as you might have guessed, many stones, and it wears shoes down quickly.  Pack only one bag, if possible.  We won’t have a good deal of room.  Our first stop in Stonieria will be Aleygin, and we will be able to get some Stonierian clothing and such there.
“But-” I had just had a thought.  “What about my parents?”
Alex smiled at me a little sadly.  “I’m sorry Dear. but the minute you found your powers, you became a true Stonierian.  There’s no going back.  It will be a long long time before you see your parents again.
I sat on the couch, frozen, as everyone filed out.  Then I walked slowly up the stairs and into my room.  As I lay on the bed, I tossed and turned.  Nobody had mention that I couldn’t go home.
I needed air.  I went over to the window, opened it, and found a roof that sloped only slightly.  I climbed out and sat, thinking.  I couldn’t do anything about it,  I was stuck, possibly for the rest of my life, without my parents, my friends, my house, my dog, my school.
I was stuck in what should’ve been a make-believe fairy tale.
Stuck.
Chapter 7:
I looked around, startled.  I had just been in a bus...now I was back in the living room.
How?  I wondered if I should tell Alex about it.  But I might just have been imagining things.  I certainly didn’t want anyone thinking I was crazy.  
Everyone was looking at Brian and I with a slightly anxious, expectant look.  I was nervous.  I didn’t think that I was going to be able to talk to birds, and I certainly wasn’t going to stick my hand into the fire.  Honestly I thought that having Water Powers would be pretty darn awesome, but I couldn’t even hope for anything like that.  I wondered what I had to do to prove that I had powers.  Or was I supposed to sit here and hope that something jumped at me?  Because never in all my life had I been aware of anything special about me.  
I cleared my throat. “Um, Alex?  I don’t think I have any powers or anything.  I mean, wouldn’t I have noticed them?  I think I’m pretty- regular, you know.”
She smiled at me kindly.  “You may not think so, Hilary, but the powers are there, they’re in you, somewhere.”
“But- what about my parents?  I mean this sounds like something I’d have to inherit.”
“You did inherit it.”
“I wha- how?  I mean, why wouldn’t they tell us?”
“Your mother was an Aquari.  That is, she had water powers.  But-”
Alex sighed, heavily.  “She chose to renounce them.  They worried her, she wanted to be normal.  But what she didn’t know is that you can never truly get away from your powers.  As you can see, her children were born with powers.”
I let this sink in.  Whoa.  How had I never known my mother had strange magical powers?  Why had she tried to get away from them?
I looked over at Brian.  He didn’t seem to find this very astounding.  
Alex spoke.
“So now, Brian and Hillary.  This is the fun part.”  She smiled encouragingly.
“Think about the powers.  Water, Fire, Sky, Plants, Animals, and the Elements.  One of these powers lived within you.  You must think, really think about the powers.  Think about yourself.  Think about the things you hold most dear.  Then, I think it’s safe to say you’ll know what your power is.”
This sounded far fetched and a little bit crazy.  But I tried it anyway.  I closed my eyes and I thought, really hard, about the powers.  I thought about the power to control the sky, or the elements, or the power to talk to animals.  I thought about being able to touch flame, or simply willing a plant to grow, and it growing as tall as I wished.  But I kept coming back to water.
I thought about how wonderful I felt whenever I ducked my head into the ocean, or drank a glass of cool, refreshing water.  And then, suddenly, I knew.
I opened my eyes, and without knowing why I was doing it,  reached out towards the glass of water.  As my hand got nearer, it started to faintly glow.  Then, it rose up out of the cup on it’s own, and swirled around my hand, up my arm, and encircled itself about my neck.  It twirled into a tiara around my head, then became an anklet.  And finally, it stopped, hovering in midair, right in front of my eyes.  I could hardly breathe.  I slowly reached out to grab it.  As soon as it touched my hand, I was holding a little pool of water in my hand.  Using my finger, I was able to slowly draw out a long thin ribbon of water.  I tied it in a bow, I twisted it, I swirled it.  
Then I carefully set it down in the cup again, where it twinkled for a minute and then went still.
I looked up, a little nervously.
Everyone was staring at me as if in awe.  
I wondered if I had done something wrong.  
“Um- was that supposed to happen?”
“Oh, yes.  That was meant to be.  The thing is, I’ve never seen anyone find their power that quickly.  Never.”  Alex was looking at me almost admiringly.  
Brian, though, was now walking towards the fireplace, warily, but steadily.  
He reached out to it, and part of me wanted to tell him to stop.
But when his hand came in contact with the flames, he didn’t pull back or yell.
Instead, he picked up a handful of flame, and it sat there, burning in his hand.
Everyone applauded, and we were welcomed, Brian and an Emberin (a person of the flame), and I as an Aquari (a magician of water).  
In the next few moments I learned that in Virginia there were about ten Emberins, eight Aquari, 5 Creaturas (friends of animals), 5 Windlones (people of elements), 4 Fleurisas (earth and plant magicians), and two Skylerians (the people of the Sky).  Alex was a Skylerian.  
The other people in our party who were out on duty right now were mostly Creaturas and Fleurisas.  
“What about Melanie?”  I asked after I had taken in all this information.  “Do we know what her power is?”
Alex suddenly looked grave again.
“We know- but her sister refuses to believe it.  Melanie is a Skylerian- the only one on the Eastern Coast of the United States, excepting me.  Being a Skylerian has it’s-dangers.  You see, the Evil Lord Gastonez has been dead many years.  But he had a descendant, by the name of Respartin.  Respartin is many times more evil than Gastonez ever was, and we have reason to believe he has made himself-” She sighed heavily.  “-Immortal.  You see, his mother was half Emberin and half Skylerian.  Two very powerful powers.  And his father was half Aquari and half Windlone, also very powerful.  Now, someone with all four of these powers so strongly in their blood possesses very great power indeed.  So strong, it’s dangerous.  And he is continuing the work of Gastonez- he wants to rule the entire world, and thus he wants all of the people with powers on his side, and will go to great lengths to get them.  That’s why it was so crucial that we got you here.  He might try to find you before we did.  And it is especially dangerous for little Melanie- Respartin wants all of the Skylerians dead.  He thinks the power is worth nothing, and he resents his Mother, for she was never attentive to him or caring.  So all Skylerians have two options- risk it, like I am doing, and just be extra careful, or they can go to Lady Zoliss.  Lady Zoliss rules the sky.  She is part Skylerian and part Windlone, and while she isn’t evil, she’s never helped our side, either.  She lives in a castle in the clouds, with twenty or so young people whom she has had pity on and given refuge in her castle.  No one can get into her castle if she doesn’t wish them too, and Respartin is her mortal enemy- an old family feud, they’re second cousins twice removed or something.  And once a Skylerian steps foot into her castle, they may never leave.  So that is why Susan refuses to believe that her sister is a Skylerian.  She doesn’t want to lose Melanie, one way or the other.  But Melanie is a Skylerian, and we’re going to have to try and get Lady Zoliss to accept her.
I nodded, feeling sorry for Susan, Melanie, and Alex.
But Alex was already off onto a different subject.
“I heard from the Carolinian representative today.  We were going to start for Stonieria in November- 3 month’s time.  But there is no reason to stay any longer if we can’t find any more people with powers, so we both agreed that it will be best to start out much sooner.  In three weeks.  Start thinking about what to bring.  You’ll need warmer clothing, Stonieria is much colder, and bring as many pairs of shoes as possible.  Stonieria has, as you might have guessed, many stones, and it wears shoes down quickly.  Pack only one bag, if possible.  We won’t have a good deal of room.  Our first stop in Stonieria will be Aleygin, and we will be able to get some Stonierian clothing and such there.
“But-” I had just had a thought.  “What about my parents?”
Alex smiled at me a little sadly.  “I’m sorry Dear. but the minute you found your powers, you became a true Stonierian.  There’s no going back.  It will be a long long time before you see your parents again.
I sat on the couch, frozen, as everyone filed out.  Then I walked slowly up the stairs and into my room.  As I lay on the bed, I tossed and turned.  Nobody had mention that I couldn’t go home.
I needed air.  I went over to the window, opened it, and found a roof that sloped only slightly.  I climbed out and sat, thinking.  I couldn’t do anything about it,  I was stuck, possibly for the rest of my life, without my parents, my friends, my house, my dog, my school.
I was stuck in what should’ve been a make-believe fairy tale.
Stuck.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Anna!!!!:D The names for the powers are REALLY cool!:D Can't wait for the next chapter!:D Luv ya!<3

    *Hannah*
    hdfasoutherngirlslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!
      Luv u 2!!!!! <3 <3 <3

      Delete